HEALTH CARE MATTERS
OUR COMMITMENT TO ADVOCACY
Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center, the largest health center serving Washington and Yamhill Counties, identifies the need for participating in advocacy at the local, state, and federal level as a top priority. Virginia Garcia has been recognized by the National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC) as an Advocacy Center of Excellence, Bronze Level.
In the case of Virginia Garcia, an Advocacy Team has been established and is charged with recruiting staff, board members, volunteers, and community supporters of the Health Center to become Health Center Advocates and educating the community on the importance of advocating for VGMHC at all levels.
Advocacy Objectives at Virginia Garcia include:
- Increased participation from Virginia Garcia employees, board, patients, and community members as Health Center Advocates.
- Recognition as a NACHC, Silver Level Advocacy Center of Excellence
- Build meaningful advocacy relationships with six new community partners
- Promote monthly advocacy action both internally and externally
Become a Health Center Advocate by visiting the NACHC page here (http://www.hcadvocacy.org/) and make sure to mention that Virginia Garcia is your Health Center!
KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
It is important that everyone have a firm understanding of their rights. Below are articles and links to information and resources that will help you stay up-to-date on current events and activities.
RESOURCES AND WAYS TO GET INVOLVED
- Causa Oregon offers Know Your Rights trainings. Check their website for more information and to sign up.
- NACHC (National Assosciation of Community Health Centers)has a website set up to help you get involved.
- Causa created the Oregon Immigration Resource website for questions concerning immigrants in Oregon.
- One Oregon is a statewide coalition that defends against anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim policies and ballot measures and works to ensure that all Oregonians, regardless of country of birth, are treated with dignity and respect
FREE LEGAL ADVICE │ ASESORÍA LEGAL GRATUITO
- Immigration Counseling Service (ICS)
- 519 SW Park Ave., Ste. 610, Portland, OR 97205
- Tel: (503) 221-1689
OTHER LINKS AND RELEVANT INFORMATION
The Latino Network provides information for the members of the community.
The National Immigration Law Center provides important information on immigration rights and is dedicated to defending and advancing the rights of low-income immigrants.
The ILRC (Immigrant Legal Resource Center) offers free “red cards” (know your rights cards), that can be ordered from the email provided on their website. Here is the direct link to ordering the cards: https://www.ilrc.org/red-cards
They also offer a sample “preparedness plan” worksheet. It discusses a plan for minor children, and the right to request a hearing before an immigration judge if detained. Here is the direct link: https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/files/resources/family_preparedness_plan.pdf
The ACLU website also provides comprehensive “know your rights” material. Pages 1, 7,8, and 9, are the most relevant. https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/what-do-if-youre-stopped-police-immigration-agents-or-fbi
Check out this article: It summarizes the 129 years of constitutional protections for undocumented immigrants.
STATEMENT OF NONPARTISANSHIP
Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center (VGMHC) is a private, nonprofit organization recognized as exempt from Federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. VGMHC’s mission is to provide high quality, comprehensive, and culturally appropriate primary health care to the communities of Washington and Yamhill Counties with a special emphasis on migrant and seasonal farmworkers and others with barriers to receiving health care.
VGMHC may take positions on or advocate with regard to public policy issues pertinent to its mission, consistent with the requirements of applicable Federal and Oregon law. However, VGMHC conducts all of its activities in an entirely nonpartisan manner. VGMHC may acknowledge the elected officials who support us, but we do not endorse, support, or oppose candidates for public office, nor do we intervene in any election on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate or political party.